Thursday, March 12, 2009

Am I crazy?

So last year for some reason I got on a kick of conquering fears. Maybe it is because of after having two kids I felt the need to be motivated towards something. It seems I am taking one extreme to the next. Let's run through last year.
So I had not ridden a bike for years. In fact I don't even know if owning a bike for one year at the age of 8 even counts. Especially if I hardly rode it.
Where we live we see bikers everyday. I think that is what gave me the thought, "I want a bike". So I got my bike and Matt kept getting on my case about riding it. I was extremely nervous. When i finally rode the bike, Matt laughed and then he got mad. It was then he realized I was telling the truth about not really ever riding a bike. He was not too happy about putting so much money towards a nice rode bike. I had to prove him wrong. With the help of my extreme friend she talked me into taking one of my first rides on a up hill ride. For those of you familiar with Suncrest in Draper Ut. My first ride took place on the Utah county side of that hill. I almost killed myself. When we rode down the hill I almost killed myself for a second time. I made it though and then developed a love for biking. In fact before the weather got real bad I took my bike on the other side of the hill. This is the South Mountain side and I don't believe I remember any flat spots. I just remember it being a lot more steeper then the other side. That was the only time I made that ride. It was a killer. So I accomplished my fear of riding a bike and speeding down a steep hill.
My other fear has always been water. Some of my favorite sports are the water sports. This does not mean I can swim and am not scared. I hate putting my face under water. If you dunk me, I WILL slap you. I hate not being able to breath. The thought of drowning terrifies me. I have always been fine if I had a life jacket on. In all honestly I sucked at swimming because I never swam. Because I took on biking I decided I can now take on swimming. This was a 3 month struggle. Seriously it was. There were days I would totally freak myself out and have to get our of the water. I just couldn't breath. Well I didn't give up and now I actually can swim laps. Last year I swam 1 mile without stopping. For all of you who are swimmers, I know that is easy, for me it was an accomplishment.
To end my year off with a bang I entered my first Triathlon. It was just a sprint, but it took a lot of work and energy. I like to think it took even more energy then usual since it was done outside in October in the rain. Not sprinkling rain, this was a ton of rain. I looked like a sewer rat when I was done and my legs were frozen. But it was awesome.
So this year I am off looking for a new triathlon and maybe a half marathon.
Well, don't think I am going through the year without conquering yet another fear. So how is this, scuba diving. Talk about just learning to swim last year. What am I thinking. I also tend to think I am clostephobic (a word I can;t even spell) so this can't be good. I have done snorkeling and It took me a while to adjust. I wanted to freak out but I didn't. So I am wondering if that makes this scuba diving thing a bad idea? Probably, but I am a bit competitive and Matt said if I don't do it, he will still do it without me.
We will have our first dive in a pool on Saturday. I will tell you how it goes. If I make it out alive that is. I realize it is a pool. That is basically a kiddie pool compared to the ocean. Oh wait, that is more like a Barbi size pool meant for toy dolls compared to the ocean. After all the certification is over we will be using a great scuba skills when we go on a cruise next month. Please don't scare me with your comments of near death experiences while scuba diving. That will not help this situation. It will probably put me in a worse situation because I am going to scuba now, we paid a butt load, and I really don't want to be thinking of those scary experiences while I am 60 feet below in the ocean. Encouragement only please or just comment on some random thought.
Well I hope you enjoyed my crazy rambling of thoughts.!

3 comments:

Jillyan said...

You're not crazy! You are inspiring! I am also trying something new this year. Running. You should come join me for the Bear Lake half marathon!

Shellie said...

Tasha, I'm a certified Diver and it is awesome! You only need to go a max of 30 ft down to have a really cool experience. Just remember to only think happy, positive thoughts and it will be great! The one thought I always had was "it is so cool to feel like a fish feels!" It really is such a neat feeling! You will love it and do great! Remember... happy thoughts! Don't let yourself get scared!

Rosies said...

tash I took a scuba diving class in college! it was way fun and way..... that is all

To be continued.... continues

So it has been almost two years since I stopped mid sentence of my last post and write, "to be continued". So let's get back t...