Wednesday, September 15, 2010

4th of July


The 4th of July is always a holiday my kids look forward to. I wish it was because they understood the main reason for the celebration, but it is actually because they look forward to our neighborhoods yearly 4th of July Block Party. This year my neighor Tami and I sort of took charge and then the craziness began....

My Sister, husband and their kids stayed the night before at our house. When we woke up, we all woke up to the strongest winds ever. The party is always held outside and we knew it had to go on, so we just went with it. It will probably be one of the mist memorable 4th of July block parties... We set up as much as possible but with the wind things weren't wanting to stay put.

First off we had the parade around the neighborhood.




Afterwards we plugged in all of the grills for the pancakes and as we were cooking them, the power we were using had an overload and quit on us. This left only half cooked pancakes. The only solution was bringing the grills to someone's house and cooking there. I took on the job as the runner who ran up and down a hill to Tami's house picked up the cooked pancakes, ran them back down the hill and onto the food table. Great WORKOUT, seriously.

Eventually everyone got fed and the games/activities were to begin, only problem was the wind and the cold. Luckily we have a very supportive neighborhood and several people opened up their garages to host the activities.

I did face painting again this year and was super excited to tryout my new face paints. I did face painting with a few other of my talented neighbors. It was crazy as usual but with the walls of the garage blocking the wind everything worked out.



Overall it was an exhausting event for the adults, but the kids loved it and hopefully next year we can get rid of the wind and plan ahead for the power overload which we should had already done since it happened the year before.... ;0)

No comments:

To be continued.... continues

So it has been almost two years since I stopped mid sentence of my last post and write, "to be continued". So let's get back t...