Wednesday, September 15, 2010

First 1/2 Marathon!

This summer I accomplished my first half marathon! This has always been a goal of mine , but it just took me some motivation and a buddy to join me to do so. I didn't get any pics but I assure you I did it and I even finished.

During the summer I had ran two 10k's and ran them in under a 8 min mile. I was hoping to keep up that rate even though I knew the run would be much longer. However, there were things I had to take under consideration....

Anxiety Bladder
There has to be a real name for this somewhere but since I am unsure as to what it is called I will explain it to you. Everytime I know I am not going to be able to go to the bathroom for a while my bladder get an anxiety and has to go like every 5 min. Seriously! I knew this would happen but tried to go to the bathroom as soon as I could before the run as possible. The problem is with the run I did (Provo River 1/2 marathon) the lines are horrible. There was no way I would make it to the bathroom a second time before the run and so I went for it. At about the halfway mark my bladder couldn't hold it much longer. Luckily there was an porter potty and I went pee faster then I ever had in my whole life. This lost me some time... :0(

Down Hill Run NOT as easy as you'd think:
The Provo River 1/2 marathon is basically all downhill except for this one point at about the 6th or 7th mile were they have you back track on a slight up hill run for about a mile (at least that is how long it felt to me) and then back down....

I did some up hill running before the run but no down hill runs. I figured I was in good shape and my knees wouldn't give in, which they didn't, but my thighs and calves.... ugh! I don't know why I couldn't have figured it out on my own but running down hill uses so many more muscles. Muscles you rarely use so that you control yourself from tumbling down the hill on your head. At about mile 10 my legs felt like bricks. I swear I wasn't even running but I was sure trying...

Regardless of these challenges I still ran in 1:50:12 that is a 8.25 mile. Woohoo!

2 comments:

Jen Hallam said...

So proud of you. You go girl!

Lacey said...

that is amazing! way to go!

To be continued.... continues

So it has been almost two years since I stopped mid sentence of my last post and write, "to be continued". So let's get back t...